The Biblical Two Face - The Dance of Ambiguity
Have you ever become acquainted with someone who said they believed in the Bible and God, and then began picking and choosing what they believed? I've actually had a pastor confess to me that he hated me simply because I was doing something the Bible tells us to do.
Because I speak in tongues which the Bible says is for believers who have the Holy Spirit, he said he hated me and then asked me to forgive him. Kudos for him for repenting. The Bible says speaking in tongues is supernatural prayer. We can also give thanks to God when speaking in tongues and we are not to forbid people from doing it. Here are a few of the scriptures about speaking in tongues.
1 Corinthians 14:1, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 40 NKJV
1 "Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts." We are to desire the spiritual gifts and that includes speaking in tongues.
14 "For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful." We can pray supernaturally by speaking in tongues.
15 "I will sing with the spirit." We can also sing in tongues.
16 "You bless with the spirit." You could be blessing someone by speaking in tongues.
17 "For you indeed give thanks well." We can give thanks by speaking in tongues.
18 "I thank my God I speak with tongues more than you all." Shaul (Paul) did it a lot!
40 "Do not forbid to speak with tongues." Even if you don't speak in tongues, don't forbid it. Instead, why not desire to speak in tongues?
We need to open to God. In order to believe in God, we have to trust in Him. Does it make any sense to you that we can decide to trust God in some things and not others? Don't confuse what I am saying with commandments that have been made up by people. Many man-made commandments are just ritual. Yeshua said that those that follow misapplied man-made commandments are worshiping God in vain (Matthew 15:9)
Nowadays, there is a lot of ambiguity going on spiritually.
* People say they believe in the 10 commandments, but don't keep the true Sabbath which is Friday night to Saturday sundown.
* Some say there are only two commandments, but Yeshua said, "On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets;" Matthew 22:40 NKJV. This means the commandments are summarized by these two commandments; God's commandments are not done away with.
* There are some who say that God's commandments are old fashioned. "You shall not commit murder" is old fashioned? You've got to be kidding me!
* Some people say there is no such thing as a miracle or healing by God, but they are happening every day. The Bible says Yeshua (Jesus) healed the sick (Matt. 12:15, 14:14, 19:2). Matthew 8:16-17 NKJV, "When evening had come, they brought to Him many who were demon-possessed. And He cast out the spirits with a word, and healed all who were sick, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Isaiah the prophet, saying: 'He Himself took our infirmities and bore our sicknesses.'"
* People will buy books on how we should eat and they will become very dedicated to a diet given them by the person selling them their book. These writers often make a very convincing argument in order to make some money. God, who is the creator of the universe tells us what to eat and not to eat and most people pay no attention. I have decided to trust in God and eat what He says we should eat. I also control how much I eat. I also have decided to enjoy every bite instead of shoveling my food in until I almost burst.
* Perhaps one of the most perplexing things we see among so called Bible believers is a total rejection of anything from the Old Testament portion. They don't understand that the early believers in the Messiah Yeshua (Jesus) used the Old Testament portion as their Bible and believed in it. There was no New Testament at the time. Shaul (Paul) wrote about the Old Testament scriptures, "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness;" 2 Timothy 3:16 NKJV.
Will we decide we are going to trust in God and do what He says and believe in Him? Perhaps for the New Year we can make it a resolution to do what God says. After all, He is the creator and knows what's best for us.